At-Home Fitness Tips
Even though gyms and fitness studios may be temporarily closed, that doesn’t mean you can’t get in a good workout at home! From maintaining a healthy weight to getting a better night’s sleep, here are some fitness tips to try at home.
Top Exercises to Try
Exercising offers a host of physical and mental health benefits, such as disease prevention and building self-esteem. Try some of these exercises at home to increase your overall health and wellness:
- Take a walk through your neighborhood (follow proper social distancing protocol should you encounter other walkers)
- Ride a bicycle (indoors or outdoors)
- Take an online fitness class such as Zumba® or yoga
Doing household chores and yard work can also be a great way to stay active and get exercise.
How to Get Started
Before starting any workout routine, consult with your doctor first to ensure the exercises are right for you. Keep the following in mind before you begin:
- Take it slow. If you haven’t exercised in a while, limit your workout to 10 to 15 minutes each day. Once you build stamina and strength, add in a bit more strenuous exercises for 30 to 60 minutes a few days each week.
- Be sure to stretch. Warm up your muscles before working out to prevent injuries.
- Stay positive. Don’t get discouraged if you don’t see progress immediately. Stay the course and you could start to see the changes in as little as a few weeks.