- 4 ½-inch slices of fresh pineapple, cut into chunks
- ½ mini-seedless watermelon, cut into chunks
- ½ cantaloupe, cut into chunks
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 tsp. real vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- 1 passionfruit
- 1 ¼ cup whipping cream
- 1/3 cup coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 300° F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and draw four 4-inch circles on each one. Turn the paper over.
- With an electric beater, whisk egg whites until soft peaks form. Add sugar one tbsp. at a time, whisking well after each addition to ensure sugar dissolves, until mixture is thick and glossy. Fold in vanilla, cornstarch and vinegar.
- Spoon mixture into circles on parchment paper, flattening them slightly. Reduce oven to 275° F and bake meringues for 1 hour. Turn the heat off, but DO NOT REMOVE MERINGUES FROM OVEN. Leave in oven 1 hour with the door ajar.
- Meanwhile, scoop pulp from passionfruit and push through a sieve to remove seeds. Whip cream until soft peaks form, then fold in passionfruit juice. Chill until needed. Heat a dry frying pan over medium-high heat. Add coconut and toast until golden, shaking pan constantly to keep from burning. Remove from pan immediately.
- Top each round meringue with whipped cream and fruit, and sprinkle with toasted coconut. Serve immediately. Must be eaten within 30 minutes.*
*To keep longer, store meringues and toppings separately.
Carbohydrates (g): 37
Fat (g): 6
Phosphorus (mg): 23
Potassium (mg): 137
Protein (g): 3
Sodium (mg): 35